It's in the Bag, Gluten Free & The WoW Diet



Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Buttermilk Syrup

It would not be an exaggeration to say that this recipe changed my life. Throughout my youth, I have been adamantly opposed to breakfast, especially if it came in pancake or waffle form. We don't even talk about french toast. For a long time I thought that I didn't like the pancake/waffle/toast, but then I had an eye opening experience. It was maple syrup that I couldn't handle. I began to eat plain pancakes, but that got old very quickly. Jam was justifiable and peanut butter was palatable, but nothing made me request pancakes or waffles. I ate them, but it was nothing more than toleration...and the lack of cold pizza. Cold, cruel, heartless years passed, and then it happened. One fine day the heavens opened, the breakfast gods smiled upon us, and lo and behold, SALVATION!



This is a recipe from The Bag Lady's book, but I want you to experience it sooner. Think of it as a personal spring gift from me to you. I love buttermilk syrup. I now look forward to pancakes and waffles. I no longer shudder at the thought and cringe to eat a dry pancake. This syrup is thick, rich, and warm. It's liquid love. Sweet and buttery folds envelope pancakes and gently fill the craters of waiting waffles. It is a perfect pairing with wheat,rye, buttermilk, or just a spoon. Even more amazing--it makes french toast bearable. Try it, try it today! Have breakfast for dinner and you too can taste the wonder!

Buttermilk Syrup Recipe

1 cup granulated white sugar

½ cup canned butter

½ cup buttermilk

1 cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium sauce pan, bring all ingredients to a boil except vanilla extract.

Boil for 2-7 minutes, until desired color/consistency is reached (the syrup darkens to a caramel color and thickens, the longer it boils.) Remove from burner and stir in vanilla extract. Stir until foam dissipates.

Refrigerate extra syrup in a closed container. Syrup will solidify as it chills, simply warm in the microwave or stove top to return to liquid state.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! This sounds so yummy.:) Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm looking forward to receiving your book that I have preordered on Amazon.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete